peter pendergrass | artist, etc.
click headings to expand or contract.
7 march 2012 - since my last update in august (which i did not intend to take so long to follow up), a lot has been going on in my world. i spent the fall and early winter months working with the lovely folks at the carrboro artscenter in carrboro, nc. there, i was employed as a counselor in the afterschool art immersion program. all the while i continued to work at the beautiful "artland vortex" known as nightlight, a bar and venue in chapel hill, nc. then, as of february 1st, i was jobless and homeless, but not in a bad way. in late february 2012, i relocated clear across the country to oakland, california. having spent a significant amount of time in the bay area over the course of the past three and a half years, i felt like it would be a great place to start a new chapter of my life as a person and an artist. i'm still being poor and hopeful for a living, aiming for gainful employment in the very near future, but i have prospects and a fresh slate upon which to start scribing the next part of my story.
in the coming months, i plan to apply for lots of jobs, some residencies, and maybe even a couple grants and fellowships. of course, i am going to get back in the loop with rock paper scissors collective, and i am pleased to announce that in may i will be returning to the xhurch in portland for another round of open engagement fun. it is such a joy to reconnect with these two artistic outlets. this year at the xhurch, matt, ashley and i will be working with signify, sanctify, believe, a group from l.a. that is, "invested in the temporary, playful exploration of (semi-)fictional religious technologies."
we met one of the ssb members at the xhurch last year and were promptly initiated into the dolphin ouroborous religion. needless to say, we became fast friends. on the whole, there are lots of adventures and fun to be had this summer, but i promise to update again before then.
peter pendergrass is a multidisciplinary artist based in oakland, california. originally from greensboro, north carolina, peter graduated from the university of north carolina - chapel hill in 2011 with degrees in studio art and communication studies (with a focus in performance studies). peter's artistic work includes experimental performance and mixed graphic / sculptural media, as well as digital media and video. he performs music under the moniker ghost hand, and he releases music (both his own and that of his friends) via his bedroom record label, pool party records. he writes occasionally. peter is a founding member of the performance collective, an experimental performance ensemble in chapel hill, nc. he has produced work for various organizations, including wxyc (chapel hill, nc), the artery (chapel hill, nc), rock paper scissors collective (oakland, ca), and slingshot! collective (berkeley, ca).
- b.f.a with highest honors | studio art with a focus in printmaking | university of north carolina - chapel hill | 2011.
- b.a. with highest honors | communication studies with a focus in performance studies | university of north carolina - chapel hill | 2011.
awards + special recognition:
- highest honors for undergraduate thesis work in studio art | 2011.
- highest honors for undergraduate thesis work in communication studies | 2011.
- pearman grant from the unc-ch department of art | 2011.
- selected with ashley florence + matt henderson to present at portland state university's open engagement conference on art and social practice | 2011.
- kachergis undergraduate art award from the unc-ch department of art | 2010.
- cellar door (unc-ch literary magazine) 2nd prize in fiction | fall 2010.
- john + june allcott undergraduate travel fellowship from the unc-ch department of art | 2010.
- title | location | date.
- untitled exhibition of past and recent works | nightlight bar + club | chapel hill, nc | september - november 2010.
- companions: 9 paintings to accompany the senior recital of soprano clare fitzgerald | hill hall | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | december 2009.
group exhibitions + projects:
- title | location | date.
- taking shape | the artery | chapel hill, nc | july 2011.
- xhurch: residential residency | the xhurch | portland, or | may 2011.
- in experience | john + june allot gallery | hanes art center | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | april 2011.
- undergraduate art award winners exhibition | allcott undergraduate gallery | hanes art center | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | january - february 2011.
- juried book art exhibition | allcott undergraduate gallery | hanes art center | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | january 2011.
- 15 takes(s) on human trafficking | allcott undergraduate gallery | hanes art center | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | december 2010.
- collaborative art wall for the visualizing human rights anti-conference | fedex global education center | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | december 2010.
- 2.0 | the artery | chapel hill, nc | november 2010 - january 2011.
- rock paper scissors art auction 2010 | rock paper scissors collective | oakland, ca | september 2010.
- work in progress | the artery | chapel hill, nc | august - october 2010.
- 2011 slingshot! organizer | slingshot! collective | berkeley, ca | july - august 2010.
- title | authorship | role | location | date.
- eating animals | collaboratively created; written and directed by tony perucci | performer | studio 6 | swain hall | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | november 2011.
- dreamlife | collaboratively created | director and performer | the artery | chapel hill, nc | march 2011.
- STERILIZE the performance collective | created by the performance collective | co-creator and performer | performed in various locations | fall 2010 - spring 2010.
- waves of mu | created and directed by amy caron | performer | the fitzpatrick center | duke university | durham, nc | fall 2010.
- the activist | collaboratively created; written and directed by tony perucci | associate director and performer | studio 6 | swain hall | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | spring 2010.
- hard as diamonds | written and directed by victoria facelli | collaborator and performer | studio 6 | swain hall | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | fall 2009.
- would you please restate your answer in the form of a question? | choreographed and directed by mark dendy | performer | durham performing arts center | durham, nc | july 2009.
- buy me! and anti-capitalist cavalcade | created by the performance collective | studio 6 | swain hall | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | spring 2009.
- final girl | collaboratively created, multiple directors | co-director and performer | studio 6 | swain hall | unc-ch | chapel hill, nc | fall 2009.
- southern graphics council | member | 2010 - present.
- the performance collective | founding member | 2009 - present.
- pool party records | founder | 2008 - present.
- ghost hand | sole member | 2007 - present.
- st. anthony hall | member | 2007 - forever.
- wxyc - chapel hill 89.3 fm | dj | 2007 - 2012.
- christian brothers | one of two members | 2008 - 2010.
portfolio links will open in a new tab.
- the performance collective.
- ghost hand.
pool party records.
- pretty boys t-shirt club.
- children's books.
- other stories.
select early work.